Used Ford Expedition Buying Guide
The used Ford Expedition is a family hauler with a major fun streak. Thanks to its roomy, three-row cabin, you can bring your entire crew along for the ride. And, with the Expedition’s rugged performance, you can tow big toys or even head into off-road terrain. As a used model, Ford’s full-size SUV also comes at a great price. Before you start shopping, give our used buying guide a read. We’re here to help you understand which model years have which features, so you can drive home in the used Expedition that’s perfect for your daily drive.
Fourth Generation: 2018-Current Model Year
What you’ll love about the fourth-generation used Ford Explorer:
- Three rows of spacious seating
- Excellent performance from turbocharged V6
- Hefty tow ratings
- High-tech driver safety aids
- Cutting-edge infotainment gear
The modern used Ford Expedition breaks away from the competition with its massive towing capabilities and impressive off-road performance. And these three-row SUVs are as comfortable as they are spacious. Inside, all the latest tech features—from Ford’s Sync 3 infotainment system to the Co-Pilot360 suite of safety aids—help you get around without missing a beat.
Compared to previous generations, this one includes a stronger turbocharged V6 engine. The updated turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 engine now makes 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. Properly equipped, this generation of Expeditions can tow up to 9,000 pounds, making them a great option for horse owners or fishing enthusiasts.
How have these SUVs changed from model year to model year?
- The 2020 Expedition made the King Ranch trim model available in both regular and extended Max body styles.
- Also for 2020, the Ford Co-Pilot360 suite of safety aids became standard equipment. This package, which includes automatic emergency braking and lane-keeping assist, can detect and mitigate danger.
- The 2019 Expedition introduced the Stealth Edition package. It adds stylish features, including full LED lights and 22-inch black-painted wheels.
Third Generation: 2007-2017
What you’ll love about the third-generation Ford Explorer:
- Powerful V8 and turbocharged V6 engines
- Impressive towing and off-roading capabilities
- Three rows of spacious, family-friendly seating
- Modern tech features, including Sync voice controls and smartphone integration features
Look for these changes on the used lot:
- The 2016 Expedition introduced Ford’s latest infotainment system, Sync 3. It replaced the outgoing MyFord Touch system, and it comes standard with an 8-inch touch screen and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone integration.
- For 2015, the Expedition rolled out its new powertrain. This turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 (365 horsepower, 420 pound-feet of torque) combines sturdy capabilities with modern fuel economy.
- The base XL trim model was dropped for the 2013 model year, leaving only the better equipped three-row models, the XLT, Limited, and King Ranch.
- The base XL trim model was first introduced for the 2011 model year, but it came standard with five seats. Extended-length XL models had seating for up to eight.
- The 2010 Expedition was the first to include trailer sway control, technology that makes towing safer.
- Beginning in 2009, the Expedition included Ford’s Sync voice control technology.